Tuesday, January 10, 2012

My last coup in the Northern/Upper West!

Hey everyone!


Been traveling like a madman the past few days, sorry about the lack of blog entries! My friend Leslie a volunteer with the Ghana Wildlife division and I have been trekking around my work area and then traveled back down south to her own area of work (The Sea Turtle nesting beaches of Winneba!!!).



So on to a breif recap of our travels!



First we made a journey to Mole National park where my friend Oliver one of the managers allowed us to enter free of charge due to our volunteer work with A Rocha and the Wildlife division. We decided to stay the night at the Mole motel bunk site and went on two Amazing safaris that allowed us to see a plethora of species. We cam across Kob and Bushbuck (two of the three antelopes to see), Nile Crocodiles (my favorites of course!), and of course to main draw Elephants!

However another critter stole the show in my eyes, that being an AMAZING Puff Adder snake. It was my first time seeing a live snake in Ghana and I absolutely flipped out. It was extremely beautiful and docile, allowing me to get 2 or 3 feet away from it while it enjoyed a drink from a water hole.




We also encountered my third Chameleon of the trip, and enjoyed a BEAUTIFUL sunset right off the Mole Resteraunt balcony. Pretty much a perfect end to the day!

The following day we moved up to the Upper west region where I did my crocodile work. We paid a visit to my Kulmasa family, Morrison, Sedu, and Suk and my beloved crocodiles as well! After that we moved on to the Wiechu hippo sanctuary that was supposedly close by. However we found that this was not the case as we ended up spending more time getting there than we had spent doing anything else!  However once we finally made it we were blessed by the sight of 5 Hippos! Such amazing animals to see in the wild! We also made a quick trek to the other side of the river they were in (the Black Volta) as on the other bank was another country, the neighboring country of Burkina Faso! 




Following the Hippo trip we made a long but fun journey back to Damongo in one night, that involved hopping on Trotro buses and packed private bus! This allowed us to pack up and get ready to leave the next day.It was definitely a bit sad to say goodbye to my friends in Damango though. My great friends Braimah, Daryl, and Michael all saw us off as we caught a ride to Tamale and then hit an overnight bus to get to Accra and then Winneba.

I’ll be returning home in 10 days which is CRAZY!!!! I cannot believe the time has gone by so quickly! Be seeing all of you back in the states very soon!

Much Love and God Bless!

1 comment:

  1. I can't believe you'll be back in 10 days either! It's been awesome to see your pictures of everything you've been seeing... obviously making me very jealous. See you soon!

    ReplyDelete