Wednesday, January 4, 2012

My Last few days in Damango= Rasta-Pirate Fun

Hey everyone,



Sorry the blog has been a little infrequent recently, anyways.....



I've been spending my final week here in Damongo doing a little bit of resting and relaxing. The A Rocha staff was on leave for most of late december/early January, but Michael one of the staff members remained in Damongo during his time off. Michael invited me to one of the churches here several times and I really enjoyed it! It's a very new congregation but it appears to be growing quickly, which was a very cool sign to see. The Pastor is only slightly older than myself, but man he can preach! The services where very fun and interactive. It was especially cool to see the young children dancing all around to the gospel music they played! Very cool way to experience the Ghanian Church culture!

I've also come across a new addiction here.... Fanmilk Ice cream, they have Vanilla, Chocolate, and strawberry yogurt. I usually eat 3 or 4 a day, they are just that goooooood! I've lost around 20 pounds since I got here, so I figure loading up on the sweets will help me gain some of it back!




One of the coolest things I've done this week involved going to the hair salon of my friend's sister and letting her Braid my ridiculously bushy beard "Rasta" style. The process involved her twisting my beard and intertwining it with some blonde extensions before capping it with a bead. It looks pretty cool and I figured it would be a fun and funny thing to do! Plus I was able to give my friend's sister a little business so that makes it worth it in it's own. The Final result looks to be a cross between a Rastafarian and some sort of Pirate. Thus I've dubbed my beard a "Rasta-Pirate" beard haha!






All in all it's kind of bittersweet to be leaving Damango soon. I've made so many awesome friends here and it's gonna be tough to leave them. However I'll be leaving to hit some very cool places in the rest of the country, including a return trip to Mole National park, and my crocodiles in Kulmasa, along with a Hippopottamus sanctuary, a Rainforest preserve park, and finally wrapping up my field time in Ghana walking the beaches in Winneba with some friends with the Wildlife division for sea turtles!


It's crazy to think my time in Ghana is down to just a little over two weeks! I'm going to make the best of this already amazing experience though!


Much Love and God Bless

1 comment: